Thursday, January 26, 2012

Saints of the Day—Timothy and Titus

All most of us (me, certainly) know about Sts. Timothy and Titus is that they were disciples of St. Paul and the addressees of three letters, two to Timothy and one to Titus. These Pastoral Epistles, as they are called, witness to the development of the church and its ministries. I'm afraid I can't say anything very profound about them, though First Timothy 2:4 does tell us that God "desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." I take comfort in that when the specters of hyper-Augustinianism and Calvinism flit around my brain. (I do read a fair number of Reformed blogs.)


From the Roman Missal, 3rd edition:
O God, who adorned Saints Timothy and Titus
with apostolic virtues,
grant, through the intercession of them both,
that, living justly and devoutly in this present age,
we may merit to reach our heavenly homeland.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment